Thursday, May 15, 2008

Not Excited to Catch Prince Caspian

I've read The Chronicles of Narnia when I was 11 or 12, I think, and J.R.R. Tolkien's The Hobbit and The Lord of The Rings trilogy soon after that. I enjoyed those books immensely- they gave me that appreciation for other medieval fantasy books, and Dungeons and Dragons and all that crap. Great geeky stuff I was soaking up on in high school and early college.

I gotta admit, I've been disappointed with Walden Media's 2005 big-screen adaptation of C.S. Lewis' The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe. Terribly disappointed. Pretty much for watering down everything to get that G-rating. The battles were neither epic nor gritty enough. And for the most part, I didn't care much for our four main characters- The Pevensies- when I totally loved them reading the book as a kid.

I get it that they cast relative unknowns for our main characters. Sure, Skandar Keynes (Edmund) and Georgie Henley (Lucy) were alright, but I found the performances of William Moseley (who played Peter) and Anna Popplewell (who played Susan) totally uninspired and completely forgettable.

So here they are again this summer with the second installment of The Chronicle of Narnia series: Prince Caspian. Again, great story. I've just re-read it several months back, and if you haven't had a chance to grab your own copy, perhaps it's about time you get your own.

Plot: It's been a year since the Pevensies came back from their first adventure. But they find themselves sucked back in to Narnia, and discover to their dismay that 1) over 1,000 years have passed since their last visit, and 2) Narnia is in ruins- the old ways have all been forgotten, and the Telmarines threaten everything that remains of the old, glorious kingdom the children left behind.

Prince Caspian is the last remaining descendant of the Narnian line, but is held in check by his ruthless despot of an uncle, Miraz. Only with the help of the Pevensies can he even hope to restore Narnia to its former glory.

You can check out this trailer we found on YouTube, posted by Luisfalvez:



Trailer looks alright, but given how the previous Chronicles of Narnia movie failed to engage me, I'm just lukewarm about the whole Prince Caspian affair. I'm sure it couldn't be as bad as Speed Racer (can it?), and I still hope this one turns out to be much better than its predecessor, but I ain't holdin' my breath.

Cheers, everyone.

0 comments: